Aug 21, 2011

Upcoming post, reality check and platform building


So this last week was crazy! My day job is ramping up with the start of school and it's always an adjustment to juggle those duties with everything else. Loving it but still feel like a huge pile of responsibility was dropped into my lap. That, plus feedback from CPs (including the fantabulous Taryn of Teen Eyes whom I interviewed last week. I repeat - she's fantab) has thrown me back into Saving Andromeda for a total rewrite on my first hundred pages. Eep!

This means I now have much less time to blog because seriously, between work, family and revising SA, blogging comes last. As it should. I have to ditch my summer schedule of Wednesday book reviews and Friday interviews to just Fridays. (The other option is to keep it up and have my posts read like: jlkjd jkl jikljla sdafjij. Which nobody would appreciate, least of all me.)

This Friday, plan to meet Lindsay Currie, an aspiring author of YA spec fiction who, along with her writing partner, received SIX offers of representation before signing with Ginger Clark. (WOW!) We're going to talk about what it's like to write with a partner and learn more about Lindsay's journey along the publishing path. It'll be super-de-duper so be sure to stop by!

Rachel Harrie is hosting her third Writers Building Platform campaign over at her blog. It's all about linking virtual arms to network, brainstorm and raise our blog visibility. I LOVE these kinds of events so if you're a newbie like me, head on over to check it out! Sign ups end Aug. 31, I think, and the campaign runs until Oct. (If I'm not mistaken.)

And now *serious face* I must discuss the school year rush. Every August I'm surprised to rediscover how busy life and stressed my life normally is. Last summer was a huge, long soul-stretching lull...and now it's over. I'm alternating between loving the routine and stimulus and feeling like this:

As an introvert, I need lots of time to think and lots of space in my head for writing. (Space where my brain should go, heh heh.) All these other demands mean I'm facing a much longer revision time to do it right and that's frustrating. The challenge for me this year is to keep on. Just keep writing, just keep writing...like the little engine who could. Ugh. I want to be done NOW.
Please tell me, gentle reader - how do you stay motivated through the hard, uphill work of revision? Especially when there's so much else on your plate?

17 comments:

lindy said...

Lemme tell ya! It's the characters. They won't leave me alone. Every time I sit down to relax, they leap up and down with big clunky shoes on the grey matter, demanding I get back to it. They'll be no resting--despite my best efforts to thwart their dastardly demands. Yep, that's what keeps me motivated.

By the way, I'm looking forward to the interview on Friday!

Carrie Butler said...

Eep! Good luck with those rewrites. :)

Unknown said...

Looking forward to your interview-- Lindsay and Trisha are awesome!

Stopping in to say "Hi!" as a fellow member of your YA campaign group.

Unknown said...

Um... I'm ignoring revision right now (and starting new projects!) so I don't have any tips on how to keep going with it!
I can sympathise with you on the school rush thing (I'm also a teacher). It can get crazy busy sometimes (quite often, actually!).

xx Rachel

Heidi W said...

i have to set myself firm deadlines to keep me revising. I rarely meet them, but it keeps me going though the bulk of it. And then I rely on some CP cheerleaders to get me though the rest. You know--with emails like "When are you sending me that draft?"

I'm a fellow campaigner in your YA group. Excited to meet you!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Pleased to meet you :)

I'm not very good at revision, I have to take lots of breaks :)

Golden Eagle said...

Good luck with your revisions!

Fellow Campaigner stopping by. :) New follower!

Melodie said...

Lindy: I'm the same way about my characters - or at least for this WIP. They are sucking up all my free time right now.

Thanks, Carrie!

Hi back, Mary and Golden Eagle. Looking fwd to getting to know you during the campaign.

Heidi: CPs are helping me, too. I do set my own deadlines, tho. (that way I can change them! :)

Sarah: I need revision breaks, too. Otherwise I go cross-eyed bc I'm too close to it.

Unknown said...

Best wishes with the new routine. Love the bears. Happy to be Campaign grouped together and look forward to knowing you as the whirlwind slows down. I also put in a twitter follow request ^_^

Gwen Gardner said...

Melodie - I'm starting my re-write next week - just finished my first draft/first novel today *does happy dance*. I'll wish us both luck! I'm a fellow campaigner and new follower!

Abhishek said...

Came here from the Platform Building Campaign!!


Cool Blog!!

with warm regards
Another Author

Lisa Regan said...

Hey I posted the contest dates on my blog today. FYI.

Unknown said...

Good luck with your rewrites/edits! Fellow campaigner and new follower stopping by. Have a great week.


My Blog

Anonymous said...

Fellow NA Campaigner stopping in to say HI! :)

Jennifer Pickrell said...

Hi, I'm in your NA/Crossover campaign group, good to meet you!

Jayaly said...

Fellow campaigner stopping by to say hi. I'm in your NA/crossover group.

Shelley Koon said...

Just a heads up, I have set up a Google Reader with all of NA/Crossover Group 56 in it to help organize all of our blogs - I am missing 1 person (technical issues I am trouble shooting) but hope to get them added in soon! Link is:

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user%2F08181744977128699830%2Flabel%2FNA%20Crossover%20Group%2056