Aug 12, 2011

How I snagged my agent Part II with Lisa Regan


Welcome back, dear blog viewers, to the second part of Lisa Regan's how I snagged my agent interview. Yesterday we learned about her incredible tenacity in pursuing her goal of publication, her query experience and her revision techniques. Today we're in touch with Lisa's bubbly side (oooh, a pun!! *snort* you'll get it when you read on)

AND, if you write mystery/thrillers don't forget to click on Lisa's name to enter her Hook for Your Book contest with her agent Jeanie Pantelakis. The clock is ticking: you've got one week to enter with your 50 best room-rockin' word pitch.

If you could travel back in time and kick someone's butt, whom would that person be?

Whoever came up with the M'Naghten Rule. It's like legendary FBI Profiler, John Douglas says--you can be crazy or mentally ill AND guilty. It shouldn't be one or the other.

Can I be crazy and innocent? I'll go with that.

And what song would you butt-kick to?

Stop by Matchbox 20

My most shameful writing secret is:

I write in the bubble bath! I love a hot bath and sometimes it's the only quiet, alone time I get so I often take a pen and notepad into the tub with me. I've done some of my best work in the tub!

Wow - you must be able to spend a loooong time in there. *thinking of own household with kids, hubby pounding on door, phone ringing* Jealous.

My most favorite nonwriting blog is:

It's a blog called Adventures in Kidneyland run by a woman I went to high school with. I'm not sure she has kept up with it in recent months as she's had another kidney transplant but it is very riveting. Just after high school she was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and this blog is about her journey in dealing with kidney disease. I never knew her well although she was always very nice. Last year I found her blog through Facebook and couldn't stop reading. I just think she's amazing. She really should write a book.

And now *drumroll* Lisa's QUERY:

Dear Ms. Pantelakis:

I am currently seeking representation for my novel, Finding Claire Fletcher, complete at 108,000 words. I believe my novel would appeal to readers of authors such as Karin Slaughter, Harlan Coben, Greg Iles and Lisa Gardner.

Detective Connor Parks unwittingly spends the night with a woman whose family reveals has been missing for ten years. Newly divorced, with his career in jeopardy, Connor Parks takes solace in the arms of a woman he meets at a local bar. The next morning Claire Fletcher is gone, leaving behind an address and a decade-old mystery. The address leads Connor to the Fletcher family home, where Claire’s siblings inform him that their sister was abducted from a city street ten years ago and is presumed dead.

Convinced that the beautiful, mysterious woman he met is indeed Claire Fletcher and driven by his desire to see her again, Connor begins his own investigation. He is determined to find her and unravel the mystery of her abduction and odd reemergence.

For ten years, Claire Fletcher endured the cruel torture and depravity of the man who abducted her. Paralyzed by fear, too ashamed to return to her family, Claire is resigned to her life as Lynn, an identity her abductor created and forced on her. Every time she attempts escape or betrays him in the smallest way, someone dies. Even now her clandestine run-in with Connor Parks may have put Connor's life at risk, as well as the lives of her family.

As Connor works to solve the mystery of Claire’s abduction, Claire makes a stunning discovery that leaves her no choice but to return home and enlist Connor’s help. When police fail to apprehend Claire’s abductor and another young girl goes missing, Claire and Connor take matters into their own hands.
As per the instructions on the Sullivan Maxx website I have attached a one page synopsis and the first three chapters of the manuscript as Microsoft Word documents. I would be happy to provide you with more sample chapters or the complete manuscript for your consideration. Thank you for your time and attention.

3 comments:

Nancy Thompson said...

Finding Claire Fletchet is an amazing story. I can't wait to read in again in print! Great interview, Melodie & Lisa!

Carrie Butler said...

Great interview, ladies! I look forward to reading Finding Claire Fletcher someday. That was a great query. :)

Lisa Regan said...

Thank you ladies!