Sep 2, 2012

GUTGAA meet-and-greet

Hi all!! It's a busy day on this blog: in addition to the GUTGAAM&G, I'm co-hosting a What I Did Last Summer Fact or Fiction blog...wherein the participants post a summer story (actually two of them, one today, one later this week) and you must figure out whether it's fact or fiction. The writer who fools the most wins prizes! Yay! So if you have a minute, pop over here and give your opinion on a few stories on the linky list.

Questions for the Meet and Greet

-Where do you write?

Theoretically, in my lovely office. Realistically, on the couch in the family room. Sometimes on my bed if the family is really noisy.

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?

 Wood floor with a nice rug.

-Favorite time to write?

Early morning after the kids are gone. These days, I get 1 hour to write before work.

-Drink of choice while writing?

Chai tea, although it's hard to hold a mug while typing. Also, I worry about spills so I don't generally drink anything while writing.


-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

Silence is preferred, but my husband will tell you I can block out pretty much anything. (I've had lots of practice. Thank you, loud children and spouse.)

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

My WIP is about a treasure hunt based on a real-life guy who searched for a Spanish galleon for 16 years. I wanted to write about Caribbean diving and discovered this story while doing research.

-What's your most valuable writing tip?
 
Know where you're going before you stop writing each day. Become disciplined enough to write a certain amount - whatever that is - each day you can write. (Okay, that's two tips but they're both valuable!!)

14 comments:

Stephsco said...

I already follow your blog, but I'm also doing the GUTGAA blog hop. Your story idea sounds interesting, I just read Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard which involves traveling in Central America. I'm more of an armchair adventurist so I really liked the imagery of coastal life and little islands.

Kyra Lennon said...

"Know where you're going before you stop writing each day." - That is such valuable advice! If I don't know where I'm going with a story, I can't sleep!

Suzi said...

Treasure hunt. That sounds cool. I wish I could be in the Caribbean right now. Not on a treasure hunt, but on a beach, writing.

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I like the writing tip - that's a goos one to stick with!

Beth said...

Hello & Greetings!!

Aidyl Ewoh said...

Chai tea? Oh, me likie!

Jenna and Ashley said...

Caribbean diving sounds great in a book. Are you going to do it for first-hand experience? Love your tips. I do want to start trying to write every day, even those days I don't feel I can.
-Jenna

Kelley Lynn said...

Great advice. I sometimes jot a note next to my laptop to remind myself where I'm going :)

Cynthia said...

Saying hello (again) from GUTGAA...hope you're having a good Labor Day weekend. I love treasure hunt stories. The Goonies is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Nicole said...

Love the inspiration for your WIP! I'm such a treasure nerd - it sounds awesome. :)

Jeannette said...

Nice to meet you! I peeked down to your Shakespeare Insult Kit and had a good laugh, so thanks. Good luck with GUTGAA!

Angie Sandro said...

I can tune out just about anything, lol. It is helpful when you have kids in the house.

Trisha said...

Nice answers here, Melodie :) I wish I had a lovely office. ha.

AVDutson said...

Your treasure hunting idea sounds awesome! Looking forward to keeping up with your blog.