Sep 4, 2012

Fact or Fiction? Post #2

To recap: this is the second post of our hop, in which writers post two favorite summer stories and you must vote on which one is fact, and which one fiction. Go here to read Monday's post...and then decide which is which in the comments!

Do hop around to other blogs on the linky list to vote! Winners get super-cool prizes like books and critiques. WOOT!

The tale of Casey Crazy-Cat

Once upon a time, we had a cat named Casey. He was larger than most small(ish) dogs, loved to drink water straight out of a tap, adored my oldest son and had a thing for sitting in cars. He also had horrible allergies and had to wear a cone on his head at various times, for various reasons. It was a BIG, dog-sized cone because he was soooo big.

Anyway, back to his car-sitting habits. One time he went to the airport with a van full of relatives visiting for Christmas. Other times he ran errands with me because he'd hopped into an open car window and sat in the back seat, sunning himself. By the time we noticed he was there, we were always too far from home to turn around.
Casey, the best cat in the whole world
One summer Wednesday, I left to pick up my son from youth group at church. As I pulled out of the garage, I heard a vague screeching noise. Thought it was my seat - bounced experimentally at the stop sign when I heard the screeching again. Huh. Kept going to the highway, where I turned and again...screeching noise. Very weird. Not my seat. Had to slow way down to 30 mph bc the guy in front of me was going really really slowly and staring at me in his rearview mirror. Jerk. Three miles later, took the turn off into town and heard the screeching noise again. Very long, very high...thump! In my rearview mirror I saw...

THE HINDLEGS OF CASEY. He'd ridden on the TOP OF MY CAR all the way from the house. With his hood on!!!!!!!! When I braked to turn, he slid almost entirely off the back of my car. (The screeching noise?  All of his claws fully extended, trying to hang on to the roof.) Only the back windshield wiper saved him from getting flung into the ditch.

No wonder that guy in the car ahead of me was staring. o.O I never laughed/cried so hard in my life. I was so relieved he hadn't been killed/amazed he made it that far...wearing a hood!

Apparently, others have had the same experience:



Only in this video, they weren't going 35 mph. Or wearing a gigantic hood over their heads.

So...true or false?? Vote in the comments!!

14 comments:

Suzi said...

My guess: fact.

Either way, this is funny. One summer I worked on a construction project and this car pulled up to the intersection at a stoplight. Her purse sat on top of the car. I stepped into the street and knocked on the window. She looked at me like she didn't want to roll it down, but she did and I pointed to the purse. Whoops.

Shell Flower said...

Oh man, this is so funny. Poor kitty. I have a huge cat, too, but he's scared of everything, including cars, thank goodness.
Both of your stories are so well told that they seem true. I am going to go with this one being false, just because I really don't want your poor kitty to have ridden on top of the car with the cone of shame on the whole time!
Fun hop. Thanks for putting this on!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Ummm . . . this is so believable, and it makes it tough for me to choose . . . I am going to say that the cow chip one is fact and this one is fiction.

Tara Tyler said...

cat ride on the roof or cow pattie in the face, hmmmm.
sorry, i believe it was the cow pattie...
fun stories!

Emily R. King said...

Okay, this has to be true because it is SO funny. I think this one is fact and the first one is fiction. Great story!

Aidyl Ewoh said...

Don’t ask me why, because this is almost more believable, (how you wrote it at least), but I’m going to say Fiction.
And I don’t know if you want to do anything about it, but I tried your link to Monday’s post several times, and it didn’t work. =/ So yeah, just thought I’d let you know. =)

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I still cant get over the cow chip story....I'm thinking that one is true and this one is false....

Melissa Sugar said...

Poor cat. This is a believable story. I don't have a cat, but I have heard similar real stories . My commute to my job as an assistant district attorney was forty five minutes. Every time I came to a stop I thought I heard someone or something crying or whimpering . The second day that I heard it I became really worried. One of my coworkers headed out to take a look in and under my car and to my horror found three live kittens. They were lodged somewhere above the tire but inside the shell of the car. I thought they were going to be maimed and mangled, but they were perfectly fine-just a little dehydrated. I am still going to guess fiction for this one

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Oh my gosh, this is so funny, I hope it's true! True, true! I'm guessing true!

ilima said...

Ooh. so hard. I'm guessing this one is true and the cow chip is false.

Unknown said...

Hmm, I think this one is true and the first one is fiction.

Anonymous said...

The first story was EW and this one had me laughing out loud. Since funny is always better then EW. I am going to say Casey the Cat is FACT.

Angela Cothran said...

Gosh this is hard :) But I used up my true vote already so I have to guess false.

Robin said...

I'm voting false and buffalo chip true. Both are great stories. Nice job. And thanks for organizing the bloghop!