Apr 19, 2012

R is for: recipe

(Hey all - my agent-sibling, Daisy Carter, is hosting an interview with our agent, Tricia Lawrence next week. Go here to submit a question and get in the drawing for a free book!)

This cake is one of my favorite to make. It's quick, uses cheap ingredients and is relatively low fat since it requires cocoa and not baking chocolate.

My only issue with it is it doesn't last long. :) Because the frosting is supposed to be poured over the cake before it cools, the cake can get a kind of bread pudding consistency when it's a few days old. To avoid that, just let it cool a little longer.

Texas Chocolate Cinnamon Cake

1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
4 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Spring a 9 X 13-inch pan.
In small saucepan, combine 1 cup butter with 1/4 cup cocoa. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
In mixing bowl, cimbine flour, sugar, soda and cinnamon. Add chocolate mixture. Beat on low speed for one minute, then add eggs, 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Beat until combined. Spread in prepared pan and bake about 25 minutes or until done.
Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cup milk and 1/4 cup cocoa. Cook until combined, stirring frequently. Add powdered sugar to mixing bowl; gradually beat in chocolate mixture. Add vanilla, mix until smooth. Pour over cooling cake.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

That sounds yummy; almost like a brownie recipe! The chocolate cake I make has a similar topping, but we've gotten so that we like it without (and add chocolate chips to the batter instead).

M.J. Fifield said...

I don't bake but that cake looks delicious so I think I'll have to find someone to bake for me.

Botanist said...

Sounds delicious. I'm a bit of a sucker for chocolate cake :)

Kyra Lennon said...

YUM! I am going to add this to my recipe collection! :D

Daisy Carter said...

Oh, my! I need breakfast fast, or I might lick my computer screen.

Thanks for linking!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Thanks for making me hungry. :)
And I have to ask, your sister is an agent and has an agent too?

Jessica Marcarelli said...

Oh, yum. Now I'm hungry.

Lynn Proctor said...

omgosh this sounds so good to me right now!!

Cynthia said...

This looks dee-licious! And how did you know I love chocolate?

Georgina Morales said...

Oh, gosh! This looks so tasty!! You're a threat to my diet... I don't know if I'll be able to resist...

From Diary of a Writer in Progress

Nicole said...

Uh oh - I really shouldn't have read that while I was hungry. :)