Apr 5, 2012

F is for: favorite words

I love words. They're like bits of shiny clay to me, all malleable and colorful and useful. I like to tangle them together, prod them into different lines, see what rhymes or what clashes. Poems are like pieces of jewelry, glittering gems all strung together to make one beautiful declaration.

But there are some words that, were they human, would make the Book of Beautiful People. A quick search revealed several lists of gorgeous words out there so I'll be borrowing from a few of them (like this one here, minus the vulgar language, and here and can't resist here). 

swashbuckle
botheration
glimmer, glitter, dazzle, all those words that have sequins attached :)
roly-poly
marsupial
bamboozle
bungalow
cockamamie
chuckle
crackle
diaphanous or gossamer- LOVE these, makes me think of soft silk
effervescent - all bubbly like champagne
mellifluous
serendipity
scrumptious
talisman
razzle-dazzle
whimsy
willowy

I could go on...but I want to know your favorites. Share them in the comments!

10 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Bamboozle is one of my favourites too lol!

M.J. Fifield said...

I've always liked the word 'triskaidekaphobia.' It's fun to say.

Lynn Proctor said...

hmmmm maybe mellow--touche'---relevant----ooey gooey pumpkin cake

Andrew Leon said...

I like adamant and belligerent. There are some really good words on your list, though.

Lyla said...

Ooh, I LOVE diaphanous, effervescent, and serendipity! I also love chiaroscuro, evanescent, and enigma.

I've left you a blog award over at:
http://lylawrites.blogspot.com/2012/04/blog-awards-galore-sequel.html
Go check it out! :)

Nicole said...

Love swashbuckle, diaphanous, mellifluous and talisman for sure!

Sherry Ellis said...

LIke your list. One of my favorites? Frenetic.

Kate OMara said...

My favorite word for the longest time was DOORKNOB. My best girlfriend had it carved & gave it to me for my 16th birthday. Every once in a while I'll put out the old things from the trunk. DOORKNOB still makes me giggle. It just looks funny.
:)
Kate
A to Z: http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

Carrie-Anne said...

Juxtaposition
Transmogrify
Ameliorate
Xenoglossy (almost chose this as the topic for my X day before I decided to be consistent with characters)
Hydrophosphates (it's a joke from one of my favoritest Laurel and Hardy sound shorts)
Horsefeathers
Dichotomy
Xanthochroid (blonde or yellow)
Manifestation
Portmanteau

Lisa Regan said...

I love glimmer and diaphanous, also ameliorate, denoument, ethereal. I just like they way they sound. Gossamer.