Apr 25, 2012

W is for: White Noise... or what you listen to while you write

Sarah Pearson over at Empty White Pages used to run a feature on her blog called Musical Impressions. She'd share a short story or writing sample from a friend and then match the music to the story.

Have you ever experienced the reverse - been inspired by a song to write a scene? This has only happened to me once with a lovely little instrumental by a Washington-based family ensemble called Magical Strings. It's called The Summer River and it's a lament. (I'd share the whole thing but I can't get Blogger to copy my music file off my player. *grrrr*It's too bad because the piece's harmonies really take off in the second stanza.)

Here's the clip: http://www.magicalstrings.com/samples/The%20Summer%20River.mp3

So...what did this bring to mind? Images, scenes, emotions?

What songs inspire you while you write? Does anything inspire you to write?

Share them in the comments, including links if you can!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

One of my WIPs was influenced almost entirely by a song. I'm so excited to see how it all comes together...and then crank the music! ;)

Daisy Carter said...

When I'm in the throws of a 1st draft, every song I hear makes me think of my characters. But every once in a while one or two inspire scenes or plot twists.

My ms out on sub has several scenes inspired by Taylor Swift's "Last Kiss" and "Long Live." Oh, and Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night!"

Suzi said...

Summer River was soothing in a way, beautiful. But it leaves me with bittersweet feelings, as if someone has figured something out that they know is the right thing deep in their heart, but it isn't the thing that makes them happy.

I've had a few story ideas based on songs. 'Because of You' by Kelly Clarkson and 'Everything You Want' by Vertical Horizon are two of them.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Yes, I've had plenty of scenes...sometimes whole stories influenced by a song.

Lynn Proctor said...

many songs inspire me--but i like complete silence when i write :)

Andrew Leon said...

I can't listen to music at all when I write. It sucks.

Jarm Del Boccio said...

Such soothing music...I imagined a "Little House on the Prairie" scene with a cowboy saying farewell to his wife and family as he leaves to find a homestead farther out in the plains. Very inspiring! Just stopping by from the Challenge...only 3 more days!
MakingTheWriteConnections