Feb 18, 2012

The Great Campaigner- getting to know ME :)

The lovely-and-fellow-campaigner Gina Denny  passed on these 11 questions. (Go here to learn more about Rachael Harrie's Platform Campaign.) Some of them remind me of ones asked during psychological testing - you know: if there were four old men and a baby and you in a raft, who would you eat first? - the answers of which suggest dire/forboding/scary things about your psyche but then I read Gina is pursuing a masters in childhood development and education and went Ah! No wonder she's going all super-psychological on me. Having almost finished my own similar degree, I recall spending months wading through all kinds of obscure data info on psyches in an effort to understand those mysterious, unknowable beings we call children (she said sarcastically).


1. What was the greatest live music experience you've ever had?

A Third Day concert with Michael W. Smith in Tacoma, Washington several years ago. The stadium had about 15,000 people in it and Michael led us in a worship song. I swear the air went thick and golden. It was like being in heaven for a few minutes. Nobody wanted to leave.

 
2. What was your worst date ever?

H mm. It wasn't a bad date, just an unsuccessful one. This guy took me out for pizza once and we started talking about politics - I was in college - and I realized we did not see eye-to-eye at all. He was cute, I liked him a lot but part of me realized this relationship wasn't going anywhere. 

3. If money is no object, what would your dream vacation be?

Tahiti or Bali. In Tahiti, there's a resort with these huts right over a lagoon. There are glass windows in the floor so you can watch the fish swim by in the turquoise water. It costs about $5,000 a night. Sigh.

4. Would you rather live in a crowded city or small town?

 I'm from the Midwest and now live in Alaska. Guess.

5. Would you be willing to murder one innocent person if you knew it would guarantee an end to all world hunger? 

If that innocent person is my child, then no. If it's your child...wait a second...No. My answer is no. These questions always have a nasty sting on the end, such as: killing someone would end world hunger because everyone else would kill somebody until there was nobody left to starve.


6. When did you last cry in front of somebody (who is not your partner)?

Uh, it's been a while. I think it was when we left Minnesota ten years ago. I told my MOPS group about it and burst into tears.


7. Would you be willing to endure night terrors- every night- for the rest of your life if you were given vast personal wealth to use however you wish in exchange?

Ugh - no.


8. If you could choose the manner of your death- but not the timing- what would you choose?

Holy cow. I feel like I'm in the movie "The Box." *checks for one-way mirror*  Um - I'd choose to die in my sleep.

9. Would you rather switch back to black and white TV with only five channels, or no internet?

Give me the b/w TV. We don't have cable at my house so I watch most of my shows online anyway.

10. If you could use a voodoo doll to hurt somebody, would you do it?

Only if I was really, really mad. Or in middle school.

11. What if the voodoo doll was only able to annoy them tremendously (for example: causes pervasive itching of genitals while in public, causes slight ringing in ears at nighttime, etc), would you do it?

Of course. Anyone who tells you different is lying.

Now I get to pass on my own tormenting delightful questions to other campaigners.  *evil cackle while rubbing hands together* By now, I'm guessing everyone has been tagged so if you're reading this, pick ONE for fun and answer it in the comments.


1. What kind of stuff do you write?
2. What kind of pizza is your favorite?
3. The age when you got your first kiss? And who did the kissing - you or the other person?
4. The title of your first novel - the one that will never see the light of day?
5. Age when you first realized you were going to write or die trying?
6. Leftie or rightie?
7. Mac or PC?
8. You're stranded on a deserted island with a rubber ball and a stuffed animal. How will you survive?
9.  The thing you see when you look out your front window?
10. Most embarrassing moment since 2002?
11. The kind of car you drive?

Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

Kelley Lynn said...

Man, those questions were rough!

I'd love to go to Bali. :)

Botanist said...

OK, I'll answer #1: I write sci-fi, mostly "soft" far-future stuff, where the people are the most important features and the technology is just part of the furniture. Oddly, in none of my stories have there ever been any aliens.

Amber Clites said...

I'll answer #3: I was 16 before I received my first kiss. Of course, I had the opportunities, but I was never quite ready. Unfortunately, that special first kiss was stolen by someone who decided it would be fun to kiss the never been kissed. I still like to not count him!

Melodie Wright said...

Kelley: I agree! Bali it is.

Botanist: Aliens do tend to shift the emphasis of a sci-fi. In that genre, I enjoy the stories w/o aliens better.

Amber: Ugh. You were kiss-raped! Definitely do not count that one.

Unknown said...

LOL. I don't think politics makes a successful date ever.

Stopping by from the YA group to follow and say hi!

Carrie Butler said...

Fun stuff! :)

9. The thing you see when you look out your front window?

The American flag.

ilima said...

I write good stuff, what else? Ha. Actually, I've tried writing things besides YA, but I hate it. I'll write anything within YA though-sci-fi, fantasy, contemporary, short-story, etc.

Kimberlee Turley said...

Ugh, Blogger, why are the challenge entry words so hard for me to discern?

Laughing out loud to your answer for 11.

Sara Biren said...

Hello from Minnesota (and the campaign)! I enjoyed reading your answers. As for me -- my favorite kind of pizza is Buffalo Chicken, especially from a little restaurant called the River Inn.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Julie Daines said...

Holy smokes, that was a strange set of questions. It's like that horrible card game, "Would You Rather" where you have to answer question after question of impossible stuff. Would you rather eat raw goat testicles or swallow a live tape worm. Uh, neither. You did a good job.

Hi by the way. I'm stopping by from your campaign group.

www.jolenestockman.com said...

Hi there, great answers! I have those questions to do, too (gulp!) For (some of) your questions: I'm a PC-using, YA-motivational-book-writing lefty :) I'm so excited to be in your Campaign group!

Rowenna said...

Oooh, great, make-you-think questions! I love your response to #1--there are just some moments that feel like that, and music is such an incredible catalyst!

I'll answer #9--I see my hedge-enclosed front porch and, if I crane my neck, the town's hiking/biking trail and a never-ending parade of real characters using it :)

Suzi said...

I was going to ask you where you lived in MN (since I live 2 miles away from the border), but funny enough, I was on some other blog and you must've been answering questions and it said it there.

So I'll do #2. My favorite is Happy Joes canadian bacon. Instead of slices, it's tiny diced pieces of ham and it is DELICIOUS.

Daisy Carter said...

Hi, Melodie! I saw Michael W. Smith in concert a long time ago, but it had that same feel about it. And Third Day? I'm so jealous!

Great answers, and great questions. Some of my answers are, I'm a leftie who doesn't like pizza very much and I'm a mac girl. :)

Unknown said...

I'm a fellow campaigner. *Waves*

Humpty Dumpty said...

Hi! I'm fellow Campaigner, Susan, from My Withershins (Don't let the Humpty Dumpty name fool you. For some reason Blogspot doesn't seem to like the Wordpress folk, making it hard for us to comment, so I'm using an old ID)

I'll answer # 1 - I write in a variety of genres but have two YA novels published. They are time-travel-to-the-past stories, basically historical fiction if you get down to the brass tacks.

I also read your Reality Check post and thought you pretty much hit the nail on the head (Don't ask me where these carpenter analogies came from, they are a mystery to me, too!) Everything you said in that post was true.

If I had tried to get my first novel published before having my writer's group tear it to shreds, I would probably have given writing up completely as a useless hobby. I quickly developed a thick skin and kept on writing and writing and reading and writing. Even after all that, it still took me ten years to finally find a publisher for what my writer's group called my best work to date. All the encouragement in the world doesn't help if you don't have a polished product to sell.

Sorry to be so long-winded! The fact of the matter is, you have a great blog here! :)