Feb 5, 2012

Characters on the couch

The past month's excitement completely erased my short-term memory and I FORGOT I signed up for this bloghop. *red face* However, I'm going to woman-up and post as often as necessary this week, since I also promised an interview with my uber-agent, the wondrous Tricia Lawrence, prior to the pitch contest next week. (Click here for deets on participating in that AND how to sign up for two gorgeous prizes.)
Anyway, Cassie and Angie are sponsoring this very cool writerly experience and if you want to learn more, go here.

Today, we're psychoanalyzing a character in our WIP by forcing having them participate in a Q&A. My character is Rachel Marr, the MC in Things We Save, a WIP I just finished. Click on 'WIPS in my life' page to learn more about her story.


What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?

Uh, that is a rude question to ask a stranger. Srsly.  And anyway, the tabloids are blowing it all out of proportion. "Substance abuse problem" my ass. I was upset my dad had died, okay? And I wasn't due on set for two days. I have a full-time job, own my house, pay taxes and my employees - in every way but one, I'm an adult. The law that says I have three more years until I'm legal is totally lame.

What do people believe about you that is false?

That I'm immature and have issues with drugs and alcohol,completely ignoring the fact that a. my dad just died and b. I work in a very competitive industry. Also people think I'm stupid just because I'm an actress.

What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?

Lindsay thinks I'm this close to being frigid. (She'd use the word prude if she knew what it meant.) But I'm not about to jump into bed with any hottie that looks my way. One of the last things Mom told me before she died was that waiting for true love was worth it. So I guess waiting is a way I feel closer to her.

What would the same friend say is your one redeeming quality? Why?

Hmmm. Probably my money. Ha! No, Lindsay would say that I can keep secrets. We both keep each other's secrets, although she has more to keep than I do.

What do you want most? What will you do to get it?

Honestly, I'd turn back time. I want to tell my dad I love him and hug my mom again. But I can't so I guess I'll do my best to find out more about the life he had after Mom and I left. Even though I haven't been near an archaeological dig for four years, it's time to go back. I'm going to take care of his employees and his stuff. And find out why he left me that really weird Islamic coin. His diary makes me think he was onto something big. I'm going to do everything I can to find out what that was...


13 comments:

Cassie Mae said...

Wow Melodie! This was awesome and I totally love the voice you have for this character!

You are one talented woman!!!

Kimberlee Turley said...

How fun!

The substance abuse problem reminds me of an exchange student I knew from Germany. The legal age there is 16 and he though it was so weird the limit in the US is 21.

He says the Germans are more responsible about drinking because it's embraced by the family and young adults don't have to sneak out to go drinking.

Kyra Lennon said...

I just agree with Cassie, your character has a very strong voice, and I want to know more about her right now! Good job!

Lisa Regan said...

Well that totally makes me want to read the WIP! Well done!

DLGardner said...

Great voice. You've really drawn me into your story! Thanks for sharing.

Cortney Pearson said...

Great voice, she seemed very real to me! Nice work!

Emily R. King said...

Rachel is amazing! Best actress I know of. : )

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Well done. I love the voice of this character. New follower :)

Unknown said...

lol. I loved the response about Lindsey not knowing what prude was. LOL.

Rachel definitely seems real! I'd love to see how things turn back at this archaeological dig!

Hywela Lyn said...

What an interesting character! I enjoyed the interview and am totally intrigued about Cassie's father!

Dani said...

I love his presents. He has a great voice!

Trisha said...

Loved the interview - she sounds nice and feisty! and now I'm curious what she's going to find at the dig :)

Jess Stork said...

I agree, this character has a strong voice.