Oct 9, 2011

Casting call!


In between working on my newest WIP and researching agents to query, I've decided to have a wee bit of fun. Today, I'm taking a page from the delightful Anita Grace Howard, who described a protagonist in pictures, and playing dress-up with my own invisible minions. My visions are below.


Emma

She's my MC, tall, strong, athletic, able to hunt/butcher a caribou and pack it out by herself. Her basketball team missed nailing the state championship but she still got a full-ride scholarship to the University of Alaska. She's got it all figured out...except she's not who she thinks she is.

Sam
Emma's long time boyfriend, an Alaskan fisherman who's going with her to college. He's the boy next door who's always had her back. But like all young love, it's never been tested.

Michael
Emma's famous bio-dad never stopped loving Andromeda but has no idea what actually happened the night 19 years ago when everything changed. (yup, this is actually Third Day's Mac Powell. I couldn't resist...)

Andromeda
Emma's birth mother who's been in prison for murder since before Emma was born. Untangling her story almost gets Emma killed. (Anyone recognize this awesome singer?)

Ty
Michael's protege, an up-and-coming country rocker who makes Emma reconsider her choices while the rest of her world is falling apart.

That was FUN! And kinda weird. So to help me avoid feeling silly, I'm asking you to join a weeklong Casting Call Character blogfest hosted by me, the awesome Carrie Butler and Lisa Regan. The fun starts the last week of October. Just post your own casting call (or book trailer - more on that next week!), leave your link at Carrie's blog and then hop to see others' visualizations of their book characters. We'll have a grand critique prize you won't want to miss.

12 comments:

Sarah Tokeley said...

That was fun. I'll have to see if I can find the right pictures :-)

Jess said...

Great choices! I love these casting call posts~ they really give the writer's perspective on visuals~ very neat!

BBC said...

Oh my... I have a hard time putting faces to my characters. I "feel" them rather than see them. But it's cool that you found some hot dudes to fill in the blanks :)

Carrie Butler said...

You've assembled a great cast, and I love seeing the characters through your eyes! Your book sounds fantastic! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

great pics. Love your taste in guys ;) And yes, your book sounds brilliant too.

Melodie Wright said...

There are other options besides photos - you could do a cartoon character or anime or even digital ponies. (Evidently dressing up My Little Ponies is a real thing. People do this as a hobby.) Hey, no judgment here. We just want you to sign up and come play when it's time! :)

Deana said...

Now this does sounds fun! Oh I'm gonna try this one out I think:)

Anita Grace Howard said...

SWEET! Those are some handsome hotties INDEED. ;) Great job on the pics. :) Isn't it fun, putting faces to the people living in your head? LOL. I love the idea of this blog hop, and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Boy, do I love the looks of Emma! She looks fierce! :)

Laila Knight said...

Those are pretty cool. I knew I should have gone with more than two. This was a great idea for a blog hop...tons of fun. :)

Unknown said...

Good pic picks.

Mac Powell is one of my favourite singers.

Nancy Thompson said...

Thanks for co-hosting this fun bloghop, Melodie. I posted mine last night and had a blast putting it together. It wasn't first time I'd thought about who would star in my adaptation! LOL! Anyway, looking at your pics, I'm kind of feeling like a dinosaur cuz I don't recognize anyone. I'm getting old, I guess!